Product Manager Cloud & Machine Learning
Mike is a member of NAG's product management team and focuses on High Performance Computing in the cloud along with Machine Learning.
He was previously the co-founder of the University of Sheffield’s Research Software Engineering (RSE) group – one of the first such groups in the UK - providing HPC, cloud computing and research software engineering support for almost every subject area within the University.
Mike has over 20 years of experience supporting many aspects of research computing including scientific software, high performance and cloud computing and research software engineering at the Universities of Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds.
- Visiting Researcher at University of Sheffield Machine Learning group
- Faculty member of The Machine Learning Institute in Finance
- Fellow of the Software Sustainability Institute
Selected Academic Projects
- Recipient of one of the first EPSRC-funded Research Software Engineering Fellowships.
- Co-Investigator the EU-funded OpenDreamKit project, a 4-year project that supported the open source mathematical software eco-system, and the EPSRC RSE-Network grant that helped bootstrap the UK's Research Software Engineering Association.
- Research Software Engineer for the Out of Our Minds Project at The University of Birmingham. The aim is to lead a step-change in research on language and language learning by capturing the linguistic knowledge adult speakers build up when they are exposed to a language in natural settings.
- Is your Research Software Correct? Modern research relies critically on software. What can go wrong and how can we modify our working practices to do better?
- HPC: Why do so few people care? High Performance computing (HPC) can provide a step change in the scale of researchers' work. So why do so few make use of it?
- Rise of The Research Software Engineer: Keynote speech for JuliaCon 2018
- I, Research Software Engineer: Keynote speech for the 2nd International Research Software Engineering Confence
- An empirical comparison between stochastic and deterministic centroid initialisation for K-Means variations A Vouros, S Langdell, M Croucher, E Vasilaki
- A generalised framework for detailed classification of swimming paths inside the Morris Water Maze Avgoustinos Vouros, Tiago V Gehring, Kinga Szydlowska, Artur Janusz, Zehai Tu, Mike Croucher, Katarzyna Lukasiuk, Witold Konopka, Carmen Sandi, Eleni Vasilaki
- A guide to reproducible code in ecology and evolution Natalie Cooper, Pen-Yuan Hsing, Mike Croucher, Laura Graham, Tamora James, Anna Krystalli, Francois Michonneau
- Research Software Engineers: State of the Nation Report 2017 Alys Brett, Michael Croucher, Robert Haines, Simon Hettrick, James Hetherington, Mark Stillwell, Claire Wyatt
- Striving for transparent and credible research: practical guidelines for behavioral ecologists M Ihle, IS Winney, A Krystalli, M Croucher - Behavioral Ecology, 2017
- Head of Research Computing, University of Leeds.
- Co-founder of The University of Sheffield’s Research Software Engineering (RSE) group – one of the first such groups in the UK. Providing HPC, cloud computing and research software engineering support for almost every subject area within the University.
- Head of Scientific Applications Support at University of Manchester.